Isopeura
(.224 member)
23/01/09 04:13 AM
Re: Ruger .416 shorty....

This is how I see new Ruger cartridges:

In my opinion, these cartridges do what they do very well, except when compared to their ancestors. .375 H&H is still a functional king (or queen) and it is among the easier ones in feeding department. .416 is one of the trickier ones to make feed properly, but still manageable.

Short and fat cases in general are not as easy from the gunmakers point of view. Feeding is the most difficult thing in general and these cartridges don't make that job any easier. What comes to pressures, however, I'm certain that these cartridges are not a problem since at least from .375 Ruger I've had some really mean velocities without bad pressures. Actually the discomfort towards shooter starts a bit earlier than case sticking.

IMHO, The reason for these cartridges existence, however, seems to be a bit worse than I'd like to imagine. How many is still talking about the Big Rugers (Safari Magnums) at the moment? No one. And this seems to be the true meaning of these cartridges - to drop one rifle action and build all of the rifles using one less action size. I don't like the idea of being right on this one, but I think that we have lately seen some mean tricks in order of cutting manufacturing costs...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com