ChinaFleetSailor
(.224 member)
23/01/09 03:43 AM
Re: Ruger .416 shorty....

Quote:

Such test parameters are pretty easy to establish per old Ordnance documents.

Such a test would separate the Rock Stars from the Groupies and I am pretty certain some very Sacred Cows would wind up in the barbeque pit.

I doubt that'd happen. The part about the sacred cows winding up in the barbeque pit. If that test dumped on someone's sacred cow, your copy of the test results would wind up in the barbeque pit first.

I mean, I tell myself that I'm an entirely rational purchaser of firearms. That my choice of the CZ550 in .416 Rigby was based entirely on an objective evaluation of the attributes of available 40 caliber factory rifles/cartridges at the time I bought it. Which would have been mid-2000, so essentially what's in the 1999 Gun Digest.

It's sort of like cars. If you need one now, then you have to buy what's available now. You can't wait for the "perfect" 2012 model to hit the dealer's floor.

Obviously, 9 years later things are different, and my rational side tells me my choice could be different. Time hasn't stood still. New rifles & cartridges are available, and whatever problems the .416Rem had then have been solved, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah. But after having the rifle for nearly 10 years and customizing to suit me I've sort of become attached to it, and when someone starts spouting off about how much better the .416 this or that is than Rigby, my instantaneous first reaction is more like "What the !$#% did you say about my rifle?!" than "Let's look at the facts; a cartridge case is just a piece of brass, and it's kind of stupid to get ticked off about what someone said about a piece of brass."

I will tell you this; you'd practically have to convince me that my Rigby can't possibly work anymore and the new and better rifle/cartridge combos transport themselves without me having to carry them before I'd give up my considerable investment and exchange it for something "better, slimmer, trimmer," etc. Both my rational side and my reptilian brain agree on that.

But it wouldn't stop me from, say, recommending to my friend who may go to Cameroon with me & isn't a reloader and is on a pretty tight budget what with the new kid and all, that he ought to take a serious look at the Hawkeye in .416 Ruger as it may be an ideal choice for him.

Although I do have to admit he has good taste. After handling my CZ550 .416 Rigby that's been customized by American Hunting Rifles, he has the sense to admit it is vastly superior to ALL other rifles and will reliably slay large dangerous beasts like NO Remington or Weatherby could ever hope to.

So there.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com