AfricaHunter
(.224 member)
28/12/08 09:28 AM
Re: 416 Rigby or 458 Lott

There has, I believe, always been confusion and disagreement over these definitions. This Big Bore Rifle board uses, as do many, the .375H&H as the beginning. I disagree and define the .375 as a large medium bore. IMO large bores start at .40 and include the .404Jeff and all .416 rifles. I am not alone in drawing these lines of separation and think this keeps things much simpler for discussion purposes. I'm not aware of a distinction between Large and Big bore rifles; they are anything over .40. I've never tried to quantify a "stopping rifle"; like SCOTUS, I know one when I see it. Based upon my education, training and experience, I can state with confidence that anything delivering ballistic equivalence to a .470NE/.458Lott does qualify as a stopping rifle. I admit to having no experience with any of the .450NE derivatives and so cannot comment on their capability. And yes, I agree wholeheartedly that a .45-70 is not a stopper.

I am much more a rifle and shooting type and claim no expertise as a reloader, as I don't do it. Frankly, given the quality of todays commercial ammunition utilizing premium bullets and proprietary powders, I don't see the need. Re-loaders needn't reply.

Since I killed my first Ele with a .375H&H, I can't fault your logic re: .416Rigby. My own choice in a .416 is the Remington, for many reasons, but I do believe it's a personal preference and no one needs apologize for their selection between the two.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com