Der_Jaeger
(.375 member)
28/12/08 08:44 AM
Re: 416 Rigby or 458 Lott

Lionhunter

My comment was taken in the wrong way. You brought up an interesting term, "stopping rifle", that brought to mind some things that others have mentioned.

I mentioned in my post that I wasn't sure on what the energy requirement was for the "stopping rifle category" so I was estimating it to be somewhere in the +5000ft.lb pound category. The big bores, from what I understand, begin with the .45 caliber, right? I was saying that just because something is a .45 caliber, doesn't make it a stopping rifle, i.e. the .45-70, unless certain energy requirements are also met. So, the "caliber" doesn't make it a stopping rifle; the cartridge does. Is that right or am I off on that?

Also, from what I understand, a .416 is not a big bore rifle based on that definition, but, has served as a stopping rifle for many hunters.

If any of my definitions are wrong, please correct them because I'm always willing to learn and make no presumptions about being the sage. Didn't mean to cause confusion.

Anyway, the question posed was .416 Rigby or .458 Lott and I chose the .416 Rigby as my preferred all around rifle even if an occassional elephant would be on the ticket. That last part was wishful thinking

Contact Us NitroExpress.com