Ripp
(.577 member)
14/12/08 07:04 AM
Re: 416 Rigby or 458 Lott

Quote:

Good morning, again the veteran English cartridge ahead of the young American cartridge.

A thousand thanks,

Oscar.

++++++++

Oscar

As your experiment appears to have run its course,,if you don't mind, I would like to add my .02..

In my opinion, these are 2 very different cartridges in some aspects..and it matters quite a bit on what you are looking for and its intended use..

Personally, I feel the .416 Rigby is a bit more versatile than the .458 Lott,

Anything a .375 can do, the .416 can, only with more authority..when it comes to the big stuff..the .375 might be a bit more flatter shooting, but for 95% of the shots you will get in the bush, you'll never need it.

In fact, just read an article regarding what PH's suggested for a two gun safari-per a survey taking in 2007..the overwhelmingly favorite combo was 416--300 --did not state or specify in regards to the calibers if there were 416 Rigby, Rem, Hoffman, Ruger or otherwise..nore did it state such in regards to the .30 cal being a winchester, weatherby, ultra-mag..but the logic was this would cover the most effetively.

I realize you can load smaller bullets for the .458, but the bc doesn't compare quite as favorably as in the 416 caliber... so, when comparing the normal offering of a 400 gr bullet in .416 vs a 500 gr for a 458...should a longer shot at a kudu or waterbuck present itself..this may help..the difference is not large..but it is there..

If you are using this primarily in the bush in Africa..for dangerous game..most shots are close...100 yards or less.. with the majority being much less, especially if elephant is involved..

Another very important item many don't think about is recoil...depending on your sensitivity to such, another vote for the .416..again, in my opinion...recoil is considerably higher on a 458 Lott shooting a 500 gr bullet versus a .416 shooting a 400 gr bullet of similar firearms..

Having said all that, if you plan to go strickly for elephant..the .458 is your gun and probably the one I would choose as well if these were my choices...with velocity around 2300fps from the Lott, you will have more than ample velocity to hit the brain from any angle,,even on the giants in Botswana..

I realize some of this is merely preference on my part..but there you go..

Hope you enjoy greatly whatever you decide--BUT, send photos when you do..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com