9.3x57
(.450 member)
10/12/08 01:57 AM
Re: 375 hollnd and hollnd

In a conversation when I called Swift's Hober for some bullets to test he said something to the effect that before the advent of premium bullets the .375 wasn't so much greater than many other rounds but after the advent of premium bullets its performance increased light years. More or less, that the .375 with modern high performance bullets is the equal to the .416 Rigby without them.

I've used the .375 on deer, elk, plains game, not DG and I've only used standard construction bullets. My experience with the .375 H&H on thin skinned stuff is that it is no faster a killer than many smaller calibers when standard construction bullets are used. So I guess I'd have to agree with him as far as the first part of the equation is concerned.

Finn Aagaard wrote essentially the same thing about the .375 on light game.

You guys with premium bullets will have to decide if the latter half of his assessment is right. My testing of the .375 with premium bullets seems to indicate to me that he might be on to something...

On side shots, I do not believe you will kill deer-class game any faster with a .375 than you will with a .270. Actually, let me rephrase that; on side shots I think you will kill deer-class game faster with a .270 than you will with a .375 unless you use fairly frangible bullets in the .375. The .375 allows more angled shots to be taken, certainly, but grants no great advantage on light game.

On DG, modern bullets seem to really have advanced the .375. What do you guys think about a comparison of the .375 with, say, Swift's vs the .416 Rigby with old Kynochs on DG where Soft Points can/should be used?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com