atkinson6
(.375 member)
11/03/04 04:31 AM
Re: Opinions on .458 Lott

ThomasEdwards,
The 458 Lott is a more powerfull rifle than the .470, end of story, but I cannot see that if kills any better..All the big bores kill about the same IMO...I seem to handle the double rifle and 470 better than the bolt 458, at least in the recoil dept....

That said, I have never found the 416s or 404 lacking in killing power, or for that matter the 375 H&H, and based on that I see little reason to take a lick'en...........

When most of these guys get in close on a buff and their adrenaline gets pumped and they kill old dagga boy with a couple of shots with their 416, but he didn't drop to the shot, they automatically come back the following year ala PAHunter posts with a bigger hammer, and like PA they will find that on an average, they get the same reaction from the Lott, 505 or whatever that they got with the 416, it takes a couple of shots and he runs a bit...

Only on the internet and in a few periodicals dose Mr. Daggas feet come out from under him and he hits the dirt like a sack of potatoes. When he does however, be it a 9.3, 375 or 600 Nitro, then that one instance carves that hunters mind into sudden expertise and he will expound greatly on whatever caliber did the deed..It will forever be his "old Betsy", the killing machine...In reality he probably hit the spine...

Same thing happens in the elk camps of Idaho, the 338s, for example, are as good a killers as the 375 as a matter of fact, but not on paper...

I place more emphasis on bullet construction and proper bullet placement than on caliber...and I would prefer a .470 over a 458 Lott because I can have the .470 in a double rifle...

The Lott is certainly a great caliber as is the 500 Jefferys and 505 Gibbs..but they don't perform miracles, good shooting does that..

Have you ever noticed that many who shoot the 458 Lott and up lose their grip on the rifle in recoil, yes it happens often and thats not condusive to the second shot....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com