thefinegunmaker
(.224 member)
08/03/04 04:05 PM
Re: .375, the medium bore shooter's Big bore

Ray
Did you use your 375 Taylor in the U.S. or across the pond? As I stated eariler, I don't have any med/big bore rifles in my home made collection, and my elk rifle is a 30/338 Mag I built on an 09 Arg. Mauser. My 475 has a 5 1/2" barrel and I'm not that good with it at long range. I kind of like building wildcats for my own use because they don't sell as well. I get to keep them longer. The standard actions work so well for the short mag round and I don't personally like the huge amount of metal that Rem, Win, Mauser, Dakota, and many others remove to fit a 375 in a standard action. If you look at the feed ramp on a 375 length action, it's VERY short and looks weak to me. Maybe the 9.3x64 would be a better choice for me if I get the chance to cross the big pond. I do want to build a true magnum length 375 H&H someday but I want to use an action like an Enfield that has a reasonable (to me) feed ramp. For now I've got too many Mausers just itchin to throw some bigger lead. I really thought I had my mind set on the 375 and 416 Taylor, but since reading many of the posts on this board, that 9.3 keeps coming up. Then... I followed someone's link to the line of Hawk cartridges and can't get those out of my head either. They sound like great elk medicine in a 375 lead slinger. They say they'll push a 270 gr @ 2550 fps. Sounds like fun to me!

Too many great rounds out there......Too little time!

gunmaker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com