bigmaxx
(.375 member)
29/07/08 12:51 PM
Re: Opinions on .458 Lott

Quote:

Hello I really have removed the desire to buy a 458 Lott, I think a large caliber, but by what I read here backspace almost unbearable. I wanted a rifle from which to enjoy, rather than to suffer and feel that this caliber is a hell to shoot him. Now if I'm confused.

Regards,

Oscar.

I have broken my right collarbone twice and torn my rotator cuff a few times, and still enjoy shooting my .458 lott. I have done some upper body strength training that has helped greatly in handling recoil. I shoot a .375 ruger with .300 grain bullets and it has a hefty recoil too. I think all the big bores are going to have a healthy dose of recoil. Some worse than others of course. I shoot .45-70 and .450 marlin for deer and hogs and they kick too. I practice with .22 caliber and some .30 calibers alot. Practice and technique make a huge difference. None of this is original, I learned it from people on these forums. I thought the lott was too much for me too. Practice and letting the rifle recoil instead of fighting the recoil, along with some conditioning of the upper body muscles have made hunting in Africa with a true big bore an attainable goal. I leave in a month to hunt buffalo in the Zambezi Valley. I will be shooting the .458 lott. Remember, only shoot your big bore a few times at any given session. Take the smaller caliber stuff and practice alot, offhand, from shooting sticks, etc. For me about 6-10 shots is enough with 500 grain bullets and hunting loads. Much more and the dreaded flinch makes an appearance. Maybe you can find someone with a .458 you can shoot before you decide. There's no getting around shooting big guns for large or dangerous game. Good luck!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com