BFaucett
(.333 member)
04/03/04 05:24 PM
Re: Safari Express .458 Update

BigIron,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your new Model 70 in .458 WM. I know the feeling of being disappointed with one!

I purchased one (Model 70 in .458) and had the same experience with the sights being crooked. Sent it back to Winchester. Got the rifle back and it had a new barrel on it. The new sights were leaning the other way!!! I then decided to take the action/barrel out of the stock and have a look at the bedding. The secondary recoil lug, on the barrel, was not aligned with the bore. (The bearing surface was not at a right angle to the bore. It was welded on crooked.) And it looked like it had been welded on by a semi-trained monkey! Horrible work. I soon traded it off. I hope you have better luck. Be sure to pull the action and check the secondary recoil lug.

I also later purchased a Model 70 in .375 H&H. It had similar problems also. I got rid of it. I'm finished buying new, current production Winchesters. Winchester (USRA) really needs to implement a better quality control program.

Rugers aren't all perfect either but I've had much better luck, over all, with them. I'm a Ruger fan now. I have a M77 RSM in .375 H&H and one in .416 Rigby. I also have a No. 1 in .375 H&H. I'm very happy with them.

-Bob F.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com