Naren
(.224 member)
25/06/08 05:14 AM
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for?

A - 416 Weatherby Magnum

B - Brass supply, killing power - velocity really makes all the difference (with premium bullets), you have to see it to belive - thats my experience. Much more destroyed tissue, much more penetration.

C - Mauser M98 only

As for the Norma PH ammo mentioned above - don`t know about the 500/416 NE but my friend bought 2 boxes of 458 Lott. 500 grain Woodleigh Weldcore and FMJ to test that ammo. It was crap. Seriously underloaded. It chronographed on averange between 1995 - 2010 f.p.s. from 21 inch barrel. I whould`nt shot an elephant with that. Now way. And many african PH have their 458 lott barrels cut to 20-21 inch. I don`t think they whould stop an elephant charge with this ammo if the shoting angle was less than perfect - dead PH...
Not that I am all into the oommpphh, but it is realy necessary... Don`t buy Norma PH ammo... and specially at that crazy price...

As for the 500/416NE - Wolfgang Romey loades this caliber for Krieghoff - balistics: Woodleigh 410 gr. Softpoint and FMJ. Velocity 2330 fps from a 25.5 inch barrel.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com