Ripp
(.577 member)
23/06/08 04:20 AM
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for?

I have no experience with the Taylor--however it sounds like an awesome cartridge. The .416 I do have quite a bit of experience with is the .416 Remington..so I am going against the grain on this one..but..I have used now on 4 hunts in Africa--have shot everything with it from steinbuck to buffalo, lion and elephant--with NO problems in any way shape or form..Actually have 2 guns in that caliber and might do a 3rd..

As to the high pressure problems I read on this site or mentioned occasionally elsewhere..have never experienced that as well and have hunted in weather up to 105 degree F...so not buying that argument either..

I guess what I found really interesting was that 3 of the 6 PH's I visited with in Zim just this year where shooting the .416 Remington...and as a backup at that...One PH in particular who does a lot of elephant hunting in both Zim and Botswana told me, personally he likes a cartridge at 2300 fps or a bit more for elephant..especially in Botswana,,,where genetically they are quite a bit larger than in Zim..or so he told me..Another PH who also uses one..used it for hippo anc croc as it was loaded in a Rem action and stated it was the most accurate gun in camp..so counting him..actually 4 of the 6 where using it..However all 3 PH's using the .416 Rem as their main rifle stated they used it for the same reasons mentioned in the Taylor..easy to reload, easy to find or make brass for and devastating effect on game..

Anxiously waiting for the .416 Ruger to show up..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com