DarylS
(.700 member)
23/04/08 02:51 AM
Re: Best >40 cal & <45 cal cartridge for a bolt action?

Quote:

My first Taylor did 2400 in the late 70's before all the great selection of powders we have now , seems 70-72 of IMR 4320 was my majic number

; One of the earliest owners of a .416 used 3031 for the same 2,400fps speeds & used it in Africa without trouble, while most other guns didn't like such fast powders. Whooter's .416 Taylor in Africa, along with several others including Ken Waters factory chambered Ruger made over 2,400fps with 400's using normal powders, usually 4320. Today, Varget is in the same ball park for burn rates and is not effected nearly as much in the heat nor cold for that matter.
; I've often wondered what shooting hot rounds (in temperature) did for regulation of double rifles in Africa. Afterall, these guns were regulated in relatively cold climates, then packed up shipped South and then expected to maintain zeros with very much escalated pressures and velocities in Africa and India. What pressure and velocity does a .416 Rigby produce in Africa when the ammo and gun is 120F?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com