szihn
(.400 member)
06/04/08 01:51 AM
Re: Best >40 cal & <45 cal cartridge for a bolt action?

Daryls right.
And the 2.5" case requires only a little gunsmithing to a gew.length Mauser to work perfectly.
So for a given budget, you get more gunsmithing and less in parts if you make a Taylor instead of any other 416 I am aware of. The Taylor is equal to the Rigby of the 1920s ballisticly. So what's wrong with that?
If you want more, going faster is not the answer. Going bugger is........ and I would go to a 50 of some sort if I wanted more the 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery.

I have owned several 45s four 458s, a 460 G&A and a 458 Lott. They were all very good, but they all kick harder then my Taylor and in the real world, if I want to get "more" than my Taylor gives me, I want a LOT MORE, so I have now sold all my 45 calibers. Just have no real use for them anymore.
I kept my 416 Taylor and my 375H&H, and I will also keep the 404 Jeffery (not the same one I had all those years ago) just because I like it. It doesn't do anything better then the Taylor, but it's like having your old car from your youth --- or going back in time to an old girlfriend. One who didn't age.

I love the old 404, because it was so good to me in those years.
But the 416 Taylor is the one I recommend above all others.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com