Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
16/10/23 10:40 PM
Re: BGRC Nationals 2023

The weekend was certainly an excellent event, there was much preparation done before though to make sure that it all ran smoothly. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, especially the Dangerous Game Events which are rapidly becoming the event of choice by most shooters.

We have already started working on more DG events including ones for black powder and bore guns etc. This is important to bring new members into the BGRC association as well as reducing the number of shots fired to allow for the current primer and powder shortage which considering the situation in Ukraine as well as now in Israel. The DG events however are more in line with hunting than just shooting stationary targets, even though these also have their place.

As for the cooking of the steaks, thanks for the kind words gents however I must point out that I had excellent assistance form both Mark and Charles. Without their help it would have been a disaster, especially as the barbie itself isn't that flash and needs replacing. Having a mobile cool room on site made a massive difference.

As for the cooking of the steaks here is what I do:

I ordered 1" thick steaks as I find they keep their moisture better.
Take the steaks early in the morning and salt both sides and then sit them on a wire rack uncovered in the fridge until and hour before wanting to cook them. An hour is a good amount of time to allow them to get back to room temp.
Then pepper both sides and rub with olive oil
Have to barbie at 3/4 heat and sear both sides for nice colour and keep regularly flipping from one side to the other, all the while continually checking the core temp with an instantaneous thermometer. I let the steaks get to 50 degrees or very close and then we moved them to another barbie with oven feature which was set at a very low temp and we let the steaks rest for 5-6 minutes before serving.

The breakfast is something we have regularly and is easy to cook.

Heat a cast iron pan to a medium heat and melt a good quantity of butter. Place Shitake mushrooms in the pan and let them cook on both sides without burning.
Finely chop a couple of shallots and thinly slice a couple of garlic cloves.
Remove the mushrooms and place in aluminum foil to keep warm.
Add some more butter in and then raise the heat to high and quickly shallow fry the shallots and garlic with out burning.
Pour in a good quantity of Vermouth and reduce while adding some more butter.
When the sauce has reduced to a smooth consistency turn off the heat and place the mushrooms back in and toss.
Leave everything in the pan and place on a bread board and eat directly from the pan, scooping up the sauce and shallots and garlic with pieces of crusty sourdough.

I made it again on the weekend and this time I used Dry Masala instead of Vermouth and it was even better.

Thanks again to everyone who turned up to the National shoot.

Matt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com