9.3x57
(.450 member)
22/03/08 11:23 PM
Re: IM GOING TO AFRICA IN AUG

Peter, you will love the weather in almost the entire country in August. That's the reason I mentioned it. Even on the east coast of Natal it is much cooler in the winter at night, but days are warm. In OVS it can get quite chilly at night, ditto parts of the Karoo and the mountainous areas of Natal, too. Where I lived in the Karkloof Mt's it snowed just a smidgen and hard frosts were common.

Up where it looks like you will be heading, cold won't be a problem. A Norseman like you will be stripping down near butt naked by 11:00 in the morning. I can just see you now, in loincloth and sandals while your pro is wrapped up in a parka!!

As for rifles, where I lived the locals shot .308's, .243's and .303's almost to a man. Some had never even seen a .375. Ammo for such rounds was terribly expenive even then.

As an aside, the .243 was TREMENDOUSLY popular with South Africans all throughout the country when I was there. That was 20 years ago. I wonder if it has gained even more ground now? Maybe a South African can weigh in here. There aren't too many PG critters a .243 won't kill fast, and folks there had a very practical view of shootin irons in-general.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com