Nakihunter
(.375 member)
22/02/08 01:54 PM
Re: 'The African Carry'.

Hunting in the NZ bush raises quite different safety issues. The terrain is usually wet, steep, rugged & small - samll creeks, gullies, guts, bluffs etc. This terrain probably rules out DRs. In a normal hunt for red or sika deer, I would take a fall up to 5 times in a 3 day hunt. Most hunting rifles here in NZ look like they have been to the wars - many dings on the stock & bluing worn from carrying across the action or from wiping out moisture. (I was amazed to see rifles in BC that have been used regularly for 20 years still having most of the stock finish & the bluing. I presume it is typical of guns carried in flat country & in vehicles.)

The approved method of carrying scoped bolt action rifle here is either on a sling with the rifle uncocked or if in hand - with the bolt open & a round in the chamber. The Mountain Safety council has advised this method of decades and this is part of the fire arms licence test in NZ.

I find this method easy & quick to mont for a shot. Like most things practice is the key (shooting rabbits with a 22). Very few hunters here (I know of only 2 here in NZ) use a safety with the rifle cocked. I never use the safety in the field. If I carry the rifle on a sling (like the photo above), the bolt is uncocked with a round in the chamber. When approaching the hut or a vehicle, the round is removed & the bolt removed from the action.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com