xausa
(.400 member)
20/02/08 12:08 PM
Re: 'The African Carry'.

This is an issue which never came up in Africa with me, because I was considerably younger and fitter, and carrying my 8 3/4 pound .505 or my lighter Model 70 .300 H&H in one hand over long distances did not create a problem. I never much cared for a method which would bring my sweaty palms in contact with bare metal, so the African carry was not one I used.

Nowadays, I tend to either use the carry position promoted by Francis Sell, which involves carrying the rifle slung over the left shoulder, muzzle down, allowing the rifle to be brought to bear instantaneously by gripping the fore end with the left hand and swinging the muzzle up, while swinging the pistol grip toward the right hand, so that I end up in a "hasty sling" position, with the sling looped around the left upper arm and with the muzzle pointing in the direction I am facing. An alternative is carrying the rifle in the "port arms" position, at a 45 degree angle across the chest, with the sling looped across the left arm above the elbow, which supports the weight of the rifle, while at the same time making it immediately available.

When I am hunting with a double shotgun or one of my drillings, I don't use a sling generally, but often carry the weapon in the position I have adopted for years on the skeet field, with the action broken and the weapon over my right shoulder, muzzles pointed toward the ground, although, unlike my movements on the skeet field, I walk with the chambers loaded. This is also the position I use in crossing fences.

Slipping the weapon off the shoulder, closing the action and releasing the safety does take a little more time than just bringing the weapon down and releasing the safety, but the time lost is really negligible, even if you accidentally flush a covey of quail or jump a napping deer. Most of the time, I can usually anticipate the prospect of instant action and have the weapon down and the action closed before the need arises. Since I am generally wearing gloves, the sweaty palm issue does not arise.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com