JPK
(.375 member)
20/02/08 06:39 AM
Re: 'The African Carry'.

As Oz Hunter and Nitro Express have stated, in the course of a long day on tracks, you end up carrying your rifle in every manner. I don't use a sling with my double rifles though so that is out, but a double rifle is easier to carry than a bolt, as mentioned. And its true that there is no fashion show in the bush, function wins the day, period, and the over the shoulder "African Carry" is an easy way to carry a relatively heavy dangerous game rifle for long times over long distances.

Remember that the whole net difference between a so called "tourist hunt" and the same dangerous game hunt by a PH for his own enjoyment is just one, the client. While there might be a wife or friend or cameraman along, the same holds true no matter who is sponsoring the hunt, a PH or a client. There will be at least one and probably two trackers, the PH - as shooter or as guide - and a government game scout, required in most areas, possibly an apprentice PH. Adding a paying client hunter is but adding one to the four or five engaged in the hunt regardless. Add wife or buddy or cameraman if the hunter, wether the PH or the client, want one or more along. The "line" is present with or without the paying client.

With an over the shoulder "African Carry", your muzzle should never sweep the man or men in front. The rifle's muzzle or muzzles should always be pointed to the outside and down.

No grid nessecary to keep the muzzles pointed safely, if the "line" swings right and the rifle in on your right shoulder, point it more right, or point it straight down to switch shoulders. It is easy to switch shoulders on the move with the muzzles pointed down, the rifle is simply balanced in your hand, "on the muzzles", which are, again, safely pointed down, and the rifle swung with little effort, because of the balance, to the opposite shoulder. No big feat for anyone who can walk and chew gum simultaneously.

As for the "exposed" trigger issue, first Rule 1: don't ever rely on a mechanical safety. Rely only on the rifle pointing in only a safe direction. Do consider though that while the triggers are more exposed and facing a direction that could lead to being "pulled" by brush, the slide safety of a double and the Winchester style safety of a bolt are facing a direction that leads to being swept onto "safe" and opposite the direction that leads to being swept to "fire."

Safety is one reason for the popularity amoungst some of the Kreighoff decocking system.

For me, I prefer a double rifle with both intercepting sears - which prevent a double rifle from firing by dropping oe jarring unless the appropriate trigger is pulled - , and a bolted safety, which is a lever which must be swung to allow the silde safety to be moved to fire, and so preventing trigger movement.

But I would hunt with a rifle without either intercepting sears or a bolted safety because follwing Rule 1 makes these additional safety features reassuring but redundant.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com