Bramble
(.375 member)
25/12/07 08:20 AM
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent

DD
you are quite correct it is not the main theme of the book, rather a sub plot when Mellows returns to the place he will name "Zambezi waters". I re-read the post and I do seem to imply the former, I apologise.

I had not meant to imply that it was a main theme of this book, rather that it is a subject that Smith returns to in many of his books, including "A time to die", " The burning shore". Indeed in "A Falcon flies" Smith is critical of the slaughter of hundreds of animals just for their hide when he has Balyentyn's wife tell him that he has ruined the place for her by indulging in such wanton slaughter.

What happened after the elections in the newley independent Zimbabwe is indeed a little discussed topic. The consequences of which are still being played out today.

If we are returning to discuss Smith in this thread as it started, it appears that Smith's solution to the problems in Southern Africa was to create a "Black" middle class, to share out the pie so to speak. In this view his was not a dissimilar to that which some are trying to take in socially engineering a solution to some of the problems in the US or Britain.

May I take this opportunity to wish everybody on this forum of whatever race colour or creed a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Regards

Contact Us NitroExpress.com