PTinMT
(.224 member)
29/10/07 02:46 AM
Re: Best Boots for Africa

The best boot for Africa is like the best boot for the US, exactly where are you hunting? The mountains of Montana require very different footwear than Florida. The only experience I have is in the bush velt of north-east Namibia. But after a couple of safaris tramping about I've found a few things that work for me.

Boots: Two styles work for me. Low Kudu leather boots with a flat sole made in Namibia. Bought them in a store in Grootfontien but you can get them in Windhoek. The brand remains something of a mystery since it's stamped on the insole near the arch and almost impossible to make out anything. It seems to be Veldskeer? or something.

The other is favorite of some to the local farmers and they also buy them for their staff. They are a canvas tennis shoe that I believe may be an issue item for their military. Made by Beier Safety Footwear in RSA they work extremely well in wet, hot weather and great inthe sand and dry weather also. They're tough as hell but don't have the nice soft sole of the Kudu leather "desert boots" which are my favorites.

On a side note I bought a pair of high top Merrell "Mohabs" from Cabela's which are extremely comfortable in hot weather and work well if you are doing any walking on rough ground or climbing. Forget them in the sand though. The mesh across the toes allows the sand in and your feet will get blistered and filthy in short order.

Socks: Cabela's Cool Max socks. A god send in real hot weather. Very comfortable and absolutely no wet, soft feet at the end of the day.

Gators: The sister of the PH I hunted with makes "Sock-Savers", elastic top shoe covers made of very soft leather. Really keep the crap out of your boots and off the socks and laces.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com