zimhunter
(.333 member)
16/08/07 09:19 AM
Re: Best Boots for Africa

When I was preparing for my first (of 8) safari in Zimbabwe I had a pair of Russel High Country Hunters custom made. Have worn them for each safari I been on to Zimbabwe. Very happy with them. I know there are many who DON'T like them but I really do. I also like Courtney boots and at present time have 5 pairs of various styles. I wear them almost exclisively here in States I like the fit so much. Can't actually say I wouldn't like another boot better in Africa but since I have never worn anything but the Russels there and have never had one blister or sore foot in probably 32 weeks in the field in Zimbabwe over 8 years. I'm in my 70's and am 6'1" and have usually weighed around 240lbs when in good shape which I am no longer in. In preperation for hunting I walked 5 miles per day for 6 days per week and 10 miles on weekends. I started this regimen after I retired and it continued for about 5 years. I have seen every conceviable type of footwear used on Safari with good success and even have PH friends there who actually prefer to hunt barefooted or wear sandals. Probably have seen PH's in sandals more than any other single type of footwear. I just say wear what you like that gives you no foot discomfort.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com