hoppdoc
(.400 member)
27/07/07 05:56 AM
Re: Hunting in Africa

Just got back from Africa today from an 8 day plains game safari.

It was fantastic and I took 6 animals-A Mountain Zebra at 270yds, a Black Gnu(wildebeest) at 225 yds,a Gemsbok at 170 yards,and an impala, kudu, and warthog inside of 100yds.

I was using a 338 WM with 225 gr Swift A frames and they penetrated the gemsboks chest completely while NOT exiting the Zebra x 2 hits at distance or the gnu-man those animals are tough!!Everything else was a pass thru.

I did lose an Eland maybe hit very hard in the chest at 250 yds on level ground through dense bush.Heard the impact distinctly.He looked VERY BIG and his eland group was watching us at dusk preventing a closer stalk.It was very dry thick,and searching a even a section of 77,000 acres in heavy brush is daunting. Maybe the remains of the animal will turn up. I presume that animal is dead but lost.That made me ill.I have made that game shot many times.

Kudos to Kathi Klimes of Wild Travel for the great seats on the cattle car ride on the SAA Joberg express from Dulles and Optima for shepherding my rifle/baggage through Joberg .Optima spoke with some handlers, ID'd the specific luggage and rifle then took me to the front of the line through customs/screening both entering and leaving Africa.

Got to go to work. If I can figure how to do pictures I put them in Sunday--

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa218/hoppdoc06/?action=view&current=06424588.pbw

Done!

African Plains game hunting-NEAT!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com