PTinMT
(.224 member)
17/04/07 03:01 PM
Re: Save yourself some grief.

I might have a bit fo insight into this. I guided for 15 years and went to a few sports shows to see if I could book some clients. While I actually did book some at the show, most were after the show though. Most of the guys I'd spoken with at the show would go home, think it over, hopefully do a bit of research in me and the area I guided call me later and book. Now those that booked at the show booked a couple of days of flyfishing on the Yellowstone or something like that, not exactly a big risk. Trips that involved a week or more or back country packin, that never happened to me at a show.

At these shows there are always outfits from Alaska or Africa What absolutely stunned me was that some of the African outfits would book safaris running $10K or more and collect deposits of 50% or more right at the show!! What was I doing wrong?

Well, my darling wife is in advertising and she said, "Honey, it a "dick-thing", you know, testosterone fog induced reflex spending." Guy goes to show with buddies, has a few brews, if mine ain't bigger than yours at least I've got more money. Been to a DU or SCI auction? What the hell are some of those guys thinking?

The sad little postings that ask,"Is this guy ok?" Are really hysterical screams of, "PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, TELL ME I DIDN"T JUST MAKE A TOTAL ASS OUT OF MYSELF."

Some may even be looking for a way to get out of the trip that they can justify to their friends and family. "Yep, seemed like a great guy, then out of nowhere I found out he's a snake-oil salesman, could have happened to anyone. OF COURSE I CHECKED HIS REFERENCES BUT SOMETHING SEEMED A BIT OFF SO I KEPT ON DIGGING..." It's easier to live with being a victum than a fool.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com