NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/01/04 05:41 PM
Re: The Aussie swag in Africa?

Mickey is right they are heavy. That is because the good ones use a high grade heavy canvas. Much better than these modern crappy lightweight synthetic mountaineering rubbish. But they aren't meant for backpacking. Rolled up the basic single ones aren't that big and are great for keeping in the Landcruiser for a night's sleep anywhere. Just undue the straps, unroll it, and climb in. When travelling in the NT once my mates and I did a lot of driving and often well after dark. Stopping off the road somewhere, a single gas burner out, a quick meal cooked and eaten straight out of a can, and we were in bed within a half hour. Sure beats setting up complex BBQs, tents, sleeping bags,bed rolls, cooking gear, plates, washing up .....

I'm looking for a new one as my current is too big. It seems pretty hard to find a simple one now as the plastic monkey market has taken over and they are now complex and approaching tents. Kind of defeats the purpose of them.

Even when using tents or shearers quarters I still use them. Just unroll the swag on the stretcher bed. Keeps you away from any bugs and also if it gets cold overnight, flip over the flaps and it is nice and snug.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com