NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/01/04 02:32 PM
The Aussie swag in Africa?

In my visits to Africa and across numerous countries - Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa (still working on the rest), plus watching a lot of videos and television programmes - I have never seen a decent bedroll yet in use.

Given most camps are for softies with feather mattresses, jacuzzies and hot and cold running maids (joking - I wish!), when I have seen guys sleeping under the stars usually they have some crappy thick foam mattress and a sleeping bag.

What about a decent Aussie swag? Does it exist over there?

The old basic swag was a rectangle of strong thick waterproof canvas, with sewn-in panels to fit a thin mattress in at the top and bottom. A pillow & sleeping bag is used. The two flaps (one wide and one narrow) of the swag can be put on top of you for protection from the dew, wind rain or elements. A simple bivi or hooch could be constructed by running a rope between two trees and the flap form an open ended A tent.

Modern swags have all sorts of refinements including mosquito mesh, poles, hoops even zips and sometimes are more like mini tents now. I think just use a tent ifyou want one of these.

I used a basic one for well over a month once, nothing else, sleeping under then stars. When I got home it was funny to sleep in a bed and have a roof!

They are so traditional here in Oz I would be amazed if they aren't used in Africa.

Or do they just lie in the dirt.

A more modern but still basic design.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com