DoubleD
(.400 member)
14/11/06 03:23 PM
Re: The Ideal African Hunting Battery

Earlier this year I had to consider this. I got a job in South Africa on a two year renewable contract. What should I take to South Africa for hunting? Knowing full well that the largest animal I could afford to hunt would be a Zebra or Kudu, I had my upper limits. Big five being beyond my means.

So for large plains game it was a choice between my Mauser 98, .338/06 Ackley w/ 3x9 Leupold or my Ruger 77, .338/308 Ackley with V6 Weaver. I had used the 338/308AI on Kudu and Zebra on my first trip over in 2002 and found it very effective.

The Ruger is set up for Montana open prairie hunting so that is why it has a V6. I had no problem with the V6 scope in thick brush of South Africa, but would have preferred a 3x9 like I use in the thick buck brush covered hills of Southern Oregon. 3X for looking into the bush 25 yards away and 9X for the occasional 200 yard cross canyon shot.

I had decided against my precious big caliber Martini's. It is my intent to acquire Martini's while here. (And I have)

For small/er game My Remington 700 VLS .223 with a 12x seemed bit on the heavy side. So I settled on a Martini here an I. Hollis 218 Mashburn Bee with Lyman peep sight.

In the end I brought no guns, my employer and the South African government said no!

No problem, I have access to any number of Martini's here, including a Swinburn sporter 577/450, and I Hollis in WR Musket No. 2 and an Jeffery’s on a Francotte action in 577 2 inch.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com