EricD
(.416 member)
29/10/06 05:23 AM
Re: shooting practice for Africa

In reply to:

Just for fun I have shot sunflower heads at 5 yards, but it is so easy that it's not really practice and may ruin me for longer ranges.

500grains,

Why can't you shoot them from further away?

The sunflower trick sounds like a good idea in general, and I think I'll spread out some sunflower seeds for this purpose. A sack of seeds will make a whole bunch of cheap targets!

I generally try to shoot as much off hand as possible, from 100, 80 meters and 40 or so meters.

Before going to Zim last year, I made my "famous" car pulled charging ele target just for fun. As it was possible to actually get hit in the head by the target which approached me at 30-40 km/h, it made the "dangerous game" part more realistic as I had to duck or jump aside as it passed by me.

One thing I did a bit of was to have a target at about 10 meters or so (or used the charging ele target) and after shooting it with 1 or 2 shots, I would switch to a target 90 degrees or so to my left or right to simulate a sneaky second cow ele that was charging from the side. And give that one 1 or 2 shots. I also sometimes added a 3rd target, and between the 2nd and 3rd target would reload the rifle with a few rounds. Or would shoot target 1, 2 and 3, reload, and then shoot target 1 or 2 again.

I also shoot a lot while sitting on the ground, or on a tree stump. From 100 or 80 meters. This is the most common positions for most of my hunting at home, in addition to leaning against a tree.

I very rarely shoot prone, as I have rarely used this possition while hunting. Although I did more this more than usual when I went to Namibia a few years ago, and actually did end up shooting a gemsbok while prone from a kopje.

Finally, I only shoot off a bench when sighting in the first shots with new ammo, or using a chronograph.

Erik

Contact Us NitroExpress.com