NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/12/03 12:36 PM
Re: Guide Ethics

I haven't hunted with guides a lot.

Those I have hunted with seemed a good sort.

The best was a NZ guy and he stated up front if there was a big animal around. It was up to the hunter to try for it but possibly go home empty handed. And if it cost extra. The only reason this one cost extra was the landowner had upped the price a great deal AFTER the season started.

Often the guide will ask the client. "What sort of trophy are you looking for?" If you are like me, you will say a representative head and that is probably what you get. If you demand a record head or nothing, I guess you make the guide work harder if he wants a satisfied client. Of course you have to be willing to go home empty handed this way. Or I was believe often these people can home very unsatisfied, but perhaps they should learn what hunting is about.

A story of a couple of clients. A husband and wife. Both were happy and having fun. Neither stated they were after a monster. The man worried he wouldn't be taking home to brag about shot something early. OK but not huge and he was happy. His wife shot something much bigger a couple of days later. For the rest of the hunt the man acted sulked and acted like he was cheated.

Personally I find these "trophy" "awards" schemes the most silly and unethical part of hunting. More about bragging than enjoying hunting. I quite like winning a "trophy of the year" medallion from a local club, but not a big deal.

It is a great wonder sometimes how certain individuals, sporting magazine writers, club presidents etc do bag the big ones. Usually also have the boss outfitter hunting with them. Well not really a great "wonder" at all. Don't believe the hype.

The "guide" I usually have is a bit of a twit and wouldn't know where the big ones are anyway and usually shoots something smaller. A week later another more savvy hunter shoots a monster off the same block!

But in the end doesn't worry me, because "I did it my way !!!!"

Contact Us NitroExpress.com