Grizzly
(.333 member)
28/06/06 09:25 AM
Re: What is your favorite African hunting book ?

In my mind, we need to separate the information books (like Mellon's masterpiece) from the books written that make you want to jump on the next plane.

Capstick's books are pure entertainment. But leave it at that.

Ruark was a great writer, but if you get al of his other books, leave "Use Enough Gun" alone. It is merely a compilation of passages from his other books.

Corbett's books are great, but none of us will hunt tigers in India in our lifetimes.

Hunter is outstanding. And I believe Hunter was the guy Ruark epitomized as the ultimate hunter in his novels.

Tedd Roosevelt and Sir Edmund Pease will give you a good flavor of turn of the ctury Africa.

I have Selous lined up to read.

And to the new guy, we would love to read your remembrances - it fills the nostrils of those of us that have been there with the memories of the reasons we want to return, and for those of us that have not been there, fuels the passion for a primative urge we cannot explain.

Oh, and another outstanding book was Patterson's "Man eaters of Tsavo", although I must say the movie was better than the book.

I also have Bell's elephant book in the wings. And have read Elmer Keith's Safari - good read, but no expert on Africa.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com