NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/06/06 08:08 PM
Re: Will the PH save your bacon ????

OK the story as told to me. I didn't have time to put it on the last post.

My friend and NE member "Orion" was hunting in Zimbabwe in 1988 or 89 (I think?). He was hunting in the Zambezi Valley for buffalo, lion and other assorted game. His rifles were a Blazer 7mm and .375 (two barrels) and I think his .270. He is a keen .270 user and used this rifle on most things and was eager to try it on buffalo and lion, plus elephant except the PH said he would shoot him if he did (partly in jest as he was aiming up on a bull elephant).

Various plains game animals fell to his rifles and a buffalo to his .375. The outfitter had asked him to bring all solids, believe it or not.

On the last day Orion was in camp and had loaned his .270 to a fellow Aussie hunter who was hunting with a different PH. The other fellow had ONLY brought solids per outfitters stupid advice and had been having a lot of trouble with numerous follow-ups on wounded game.

As it turned out a lion was seen on the opposite bank of the river and they quickly un-packed his .375 Blazer. A fairly long shot ensued and a wounded lion ran off into some very thick bush. The black PH then refused to enter the bush with Orion to finish off the lion, and went to sit in the landcruiser with the driver instead. So Orion went off and after firing numerous shots at anyting moving, or yellow while creeping through the bush, finished off his lion.

This story probably does not illustrate the issue of having enough gun to keep ONESELF out of trouble and not relying on others or the PH. As Orion wished heartily for his .270 rather than the .375! But the .270 was the rifle he was most familiar with.

While was this man a PH? I believe he had the right local political connections. Certainly from the stories, both a sorry example of a PH and a sorry excuse for an outfitter.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com