DoubleD
(.400 member)
18/04/06 02:52 AM
Re: Leopard Gun build in .577NE and 12Ga 3" Mag

allenday,

I just got the same feeling you did.

I just visited Stars and Stripes website and I saw a short paragraph stating that people are now using their shotguns to hunt in Africa...

In reply to:

STARS & STRIPES AMMUNITION SLUG SELECTIONS
DANGEROUS GAME SLUG (DGS)
As mentioned previously, shotgun hunting is on the rise, and it is on the rise for all types of big game hunting. There are people going to hunt Africa and Asia with their shotguns, and people are hunting large heavy game here in America more frequently with their shotguns. Due to the size and sometimes the disposition of heavy and dangerous game, a very specialized slug must be used if the hunter is going to be successful.

The DGS series of slugs are not just for dangerous game, they are also our premier slug for all big game hunting. This slug in 12ga is suitable for virtually all game with the exception of some of the largest African varieties. The performance level of the DGS series outclasses any discarding sabot and all factory rifled slugs. DGS slugs have outstanding accuracy in both smoothbore and rifled barrel applications.

This is the some total of any endorsement on that website for using these slugs for Dangerous game. Not very specific, just kind of vague. No testimonials and no claim of actual use in the field use. Just this vague statement.

I also didn't see any reports on muzzle velocity or energy.

Now these slugs may be everything they claim them to be, but right now their claims all seem theoretical and unproven

I also went to Ballistic Products Website and saw no claims about using the slugs for DG. The Slugs they list are the ones from Stars and Stripes.

Right now the claims made by Stars and Stripes appear all to be unproven marketing hype.

I would want to know a lot more before I tried to hunt any DG with these slugs or any one elses slugs let alone rely on them to stop a charge.

I think for now I will rely on a bit of knowledge I gained in 47 years of hunting and that is to take the word of those who have the actual experience. I wouldn't hunt DG with a shotgun.

Now as to these gentlemen desiring to take their slug guns to Africa or even Kansas to hunt. I say good on them go for it. Go do what we all have done and get your experience. Make your mistakes or not and then share those experience with others in the future. You may be right about these slugs, so prove it.

I killed my first deer with a 30-30 94 Winchester. Today I would not even consider using that gun or cartridge for deer. Because I got experience.

So go for it guys!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com