bulldog563
(.400 member)
22/03/06 02:26 PM
Re: 45-70 LA on DG

Other then that, he is just plain wrong.

The Garrett ammo is, according to the maker, @1530fps at the muzzle. I would tend to doubt that you could actually get the measily 1530 out of your average LA anyway but we will take the manufacturers word just for comparison. What does that make at 100yards.... roughly 1320fps. Maybe just over 1400fs at 50yards. You are kidding yourself if you think that this round is just as capable as the proven DG rounds that are going 50% faster.

You keep mentioning that besides elephant it would be very capable on DG. Yeah right, on anything other then a brain shot on any DG I think it (with the exception of Leopard) would be seriously lacking in penetration. I have seen a black bear that had been shot by a 45-70 in the shoulder. The bullet didn't even make it past the shoulder and into the vitals. I would estimate maybe 5-6" of penetration. It definitely would have gotten away wounded if the guys hunting partner hadn't had a 30-06 to tag the bear with and bring it down. You are telling me that it will reach the vitals of a full grown buffalo. Highly doubtful.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com