JPK
(.375 member)
14/03/06 01:14 AM
Re: How large is the heart/lung area of a Cape Buf

I believe the frontal shot is often discouraged by African PH's because of some past poor experiences with soft point bullets at this angle.

I was told that the front skin is especially thick and tough, perhaps from years of scarring from thorns. In addition, imperfect shot placement by excited clients can have the bullet striking too far right or left and "sliding" along between the ribs between leg or shoulder and the ribs. At least this is what I've been told and read. This shot is not recomended for a soft from a 375H&H for sure and is discouraged for larger softs as well in Robertson's book for example. The outfit I hunted with in Oct, headed by Roger Whittall, a retired PH about sixty five years old (so lots of experience with less than premium softs) really encourages the use of solids for any shot on buff due to past problems with softs.

I took a frontal shot at the top of the heart on a buff cow at 25yds. I used a .458", 500 grain Woodleigh solid. At the shot the herd thundered off to the right and the buff turned 90* and bolted to join the herd, my second barrel, another solid, in the shoulder brought it down. When we approached she was dead but there was still a .458" stream of blood flowing from the entrance hole. I would not hesitate taking a frontal shot in the future and given the chance I think I'd like to try the front spinal shot.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com