Boomer
(.300 member)
26/02/06 09:59 AM
Re: Are double rifles REALLY worth the investment?

Indeed this poses a litmus test for the perspective African hunter. Firstly I must say that in my opinion a double rifle is a very specialized tool. A specialized tool can often do more than one thing well, but not as well as tools which are designed to be more general in their implementation. As a professional hunter's stopping rifle the double has no peer, but for the client, particularly the one gun client, it would certainly take a back seat to a scoped bolt gun on plains game. Therefore let me say that if the double is without a peer in the hands of the professional, then the scoped medium bore bolt gun is without a peer in the hands of his client. But on to the test....

If you are going on a 7 or 10 day hunt because you cannot afford a 21 day hunt, a double is not for you. I would say that if you can afford the 21 day hunt, but have only shot bolt guns, going up against buffalo or elephant is not the time to learn about doubles. If you already own a double, if you shoot it enough to be comfortable with it, if you have already hunted with it, and you plan to take more than one rifle with you to Africa - then a double would probably fill a niche quite nicely.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com