JPK
(.375 member)
04/02/06 02:21 AM
Re: Definition of a DG Stunt Hunt

Mike416Rigby,

Hey, I agree! It is my choice and its has worked so far. My double rifle is chambered in 458 and before I bought it I did some research on the history of the bad rep the 458 earned early on. Some of the problem was with bullets but a huge problem was the powder choices and the compaction required to meet the original specs of 500 grs at 2130.

The clumping problem cropped up and then the ammo companies dropped the loads. At one point, the factory ammo was only doing 1900 or 1950fps. - Which is still well beyond what a lever action 45/70 can produce, even with today's powders - This is the period during which the 458 earned it bad reputation. Not enough velocity to make the 500grainers penetrate reliablely on elephant.

Modern powders have solved the 458's case capacity problems, for the most part, and it is possible to get 2150fps without problems. The Lott really benefits in my eyes from being able to deliver the same performance at lower pressure. I haven't and wouldn't hesitate taking a modern loaded 458 elephant hunting.

Since my 458 is a double rifle, I am stuck with the performance of the load it was regulated with. I'm shooting 500 grain Woodleighs at 2090fps and performance has been all you could ask for. My rifle has 26" barrels. The Federal 458 loads are listed as 2090fps from a 24" barrel and several fellows who have cronographed them report they are right there +/- a few fps. Hornaday has a heavy mag loading advertised at 2260 I believe.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com