NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/02/06 01:27 PM
Re: Definition of a DG Stunt Hunt

In reply to:

On the other hand hunting a Cape buffalo with a lever action 45/70 doesn't seem a good idea either. I don't think it would be on my list rifle caliber combination. I personally don't think it is powderful enough for the job. (based only on my reading and no first hand experience)

I one time stepped into a discussion here on this board where the guru's were chastizing the very thought of hunting Cape buffalo with a lever action 45/70. The gurus were deriding the concept as bad but none of them said why. Shame on me I asked why. I got mugged. How dare I question the guru's. Hell I only wanted to confirm my own feelings on the issue.

Now if some one with the ability to go after Buffalo, took a Marlin 45/70 just prove these guru's were realy geezers, well now that would be a stunt.

A cape buffalo can be killed quite adequately with a .45/70 LA.

I was in the HHK camp in Matetsi in 2002 and a fellow client who liked and used s lot bigger and better calibres/cartridges used his Marlin .45/70 Guide 'Gun' with 540 gr hard cast flat nosed projectiles to kill a cape buffalo without a lot of fuss. He also tested it out on an elephant skull (he had hunted one that week) and they felt the penetration was adequate so he planned to book another safari to try it on elephant.

So I have no doubt it does work for someone who knows what he is doing.

Was it a bit of a stunt? Probably.

Regarding bow hunting cape buffalo. I have no doubt it takes guts to do this, even with a PH in tow. Things happen unexpectedly in any hunt, and you need to get close to that buff with your sharp twig and stick and string.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com