DoubleD
(.400 member)
03/02/06 05:22 AM
Re: Definition of a DG Stunt Hunt

Where a double gunner would consider going after any game with anything other than a double rifle a stunt, an archer might consider it the ultimate hunting challenge to silently stalk and kill an animal undetected especially a dangerous animal.

Never hunted a Cape Buffalo. Probably never will. Sure would like to. I would prefer to use my 404 BJ Express bolt gun if I could and wouldn't consider it a stunt.

On the other hand hunting a Cape buffalo with a lever action 45/70 doesn't seem a good idea either. I don't think it would be on my list rifle caliber combination. I personally don't think it is powderful enough for the job. (based only on my reading and no first hand experience)

I one time stepped into a discussion here on this board where the guru's were chastizing the very thought of hunting Cape buffalo with a lever action 45/70. The gurus were deriding the concept as bad but none of them said why. Shame on me I asked why. I got mugged. How dare I question the guru's. Hell I only wanted to confirm my own feelings on the issue.

Now if some one with the ability to go after Buffalo, took a Marlin 45/70 just prove these guru's were realy geezers, well now that would be a stunt.

There is a fine line in the discussion and we need to be sure the basis for the discussion isn't elitism.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com