allenday
(.333 member)
03/02/06 04:08 AM
Re: Definition of a DG Stunt Hunt

Over forty years ago, Elgin Gates and his PH played a game entitled "buffalo chicken" in which they allowed the bull to charge before letting him have it. That could be considered "stunt hunting", I suppose. Gates also killed all members of the Big Five with his 300 Weatherby, which would perhaps qualify as another stunt.

Modern versions of the "buffalo chicken" game allow the buffalo or hippo to "decide how he's going to die" . That could be considered stunt hunting as well!!

I have personally killed Cape buffalo and lion as dead as doornails, on the spot, with a 300 Win. Mag. and trivial 180 gr. bullets, which could be considered a stunt as well, but not in my estimate. On that particular safari, my 458 went gunnybags, and I simply didn't have another rifle to finish my hunt with.

To me, true stunt hunting might be defined as any sort of hunting that involves taking unnecessary risks and/or using non-regulation calibers for dangerous game. If you have to deal with a charge out of necessity, that's one thing, but to look for it is something else again......

AD

Contact Us NitroExpress.com