allenday
(.333 member)
25/12/05 01:44 AM
Re: Your most rewarding African animal

I can think of a dozen episodes that were equally rewarding, but since Jorge talked about his buffalo hunt with John Sharp, I'll add another John Sharp story of my own that was one of my best hunts ever.

This hunt took place in August, 2000 in John's Malangani hunting area. It was a very wet season, and the leaves hadn't dropped as they normally do by that time of the year, so visibility was really limited. As a result, we spent a number of days climbing rock kopjes glassing for game. One kopje, in particular, was very productive, and we shot a superb blue wildebeest from it as it moved to water.

A few days later, toward evening, we climbed that same kopje to glass. After a bit John motioned for me to come over, and he told me that he had spotted a big kudu bull in the saddle of that kopje, which was about 300 yds. away from our position. John had lost sight of the bull, and he was worried that it had given us the slip and had moved across the saddle, through the brush to the other side. So John left his apprentice PH with me, while he went to the other side of the kopje to look for the kudu.

Not one to sit idly by, I kept glassing that saddle, looking for the kudu, which I felt certain was still there, hidden by the brush. After a half-hour or so, I spotted the tip of one of the kudu's horns. I went over to the apprentice and said, "Julian, I have that bull spotted, and he isn't moving. Go and get Mr. Sharp. I'll sit tight and keep the kudu located until you return."

When John returned, we both glassed for the bull, which was still in the saddle, pin-pointed his position, then developed a game plan to collect him. We very carefully moved down the kopje to a large boulder that would put us within 200 yds. of the kudu. The boulder kept us hidden, and would also supply me with a solid rest for the shot. By the time we got to that boulder, it was getting very dark, almost too dark to shoot. Another problem that remained was the fact that the kudu was mostly hidden in the brush, and I had nothing to shoot at.

But finally the bull did move, just enough to expose his left shoulder. At the shot, the kudu dash ahead, right into the open, and stood wobbling, so I shot him again with my 375 H&H, and down he went. By the time we got to him, it was nearly too dark for photos, but nevertheless, I had taken a very lovely, ancient bull that went 57". We were elated, and that was one of the most satisfying African hunts I've ever enjoyed, and it produced a kudu bull is one of my favorite and best trophies.

It was one very lucky kopje..........

AD

Contact Us NitroExpress.com