DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
10/11/05 05:53 AM
Re: Who needs a bigbore?

In reply to:

I'm not trying to take anything anyway from Mr.Friedkin's accomplishment. He shot an incredible buffalo

his family is Tanzania Game Trackers and he had the whole month of July in Maswa to find a bull of that caliber.

Would it not be a ball to be in a position where you could dedicate a month to one trophy?

I see nothing wrong with takeing a month to find one animal, I've done just that, myself. Once an animal is found, then it must be stalked to a safe range for the bow, and a very carefully placed shot made. That takes skill, but it isn't any indication the the bow is, in any way, equal to a big bore rifle for shooting Cape buffalo. With many big bore rifles, buffalo have to be hunted the same way you would with a bow, if the bush is tight.

The Bow, and arrow kills by an alltogether different means than a rifle, big bore or not. This is the reason the takeing of Cape Buffalo, with a sub standard rifle, or a bow is far more dangerous than some realize. With the small rifle, or an arrow, if everything is perfect, and the buff decides to run, after the shot, rather than fight, then you have your buffalo. If, however, he decides he doesn't like you, and wishes to take the fight to your door, then I want to hear all the big talk about your bow or small rifle, or large pistol!

None the less, that Buffalo is fine no matter how he was taken, but it only proves a combination of hunting skill, and luck, along with perseverance, not the superiority of the bow as a Cape Buffalo hunting tool!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com