NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/07/24 09:04 PM
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting

IMO GV is spot oń. Hunting large and dangerous game is not necessarily rushing around like a fool. My words, not his. Shooting "until it falls". Gungho is because of the shooters adrenaline needs, not the animals. But such behaviour can stir a animal with adrenaline.

Large animals simply take time to bleed out.

Wounded beasts if unprovoked may settle and stiffen. If one has good trackers that might be the FASTEST way to finish it off.

On my first safari in 1994, I made an excellent shot on an eland we were following angling from behind. A shot to the heart. Running up another shot, broadside to the lungs, brought the standing animal to the ground. We sat down for the two or three minutes for the animal to peacefully die.

My first and only cape buffalo, I shot at a distance, maybe 60 yards I forget, with a .375. it ran a short distance, stopped and stood there. This experienced PH did not believe in blazing away. The adrenaline argument. I thought the buffalo was improving and said "should I shoot it again?" "Yes" was the answer. A FMJ zipped through both lungs and whined into the horizon. The buffalo ran angling back towards us, througha dongaor shallow creek. Didn't manage to get up the opposing bank and collapsed. It soon died.

Many water buffalo, scrub bulls, banteng, rarely die instantly with a single shot to the chest. If trying to get up again, of course it gets shot again.

A friend and fellow NE member wanted to shoot water buffalo with his "new" 6.5x54 M-S. His first bull, shot expertly to the heart from close range. The nervous PH demanded a second shot, The ran before falling over. The second bull, again at close range on an unaware bull, again another expert heart shot. Again the demand for another. This time refused. The bulk walked as if unaware it had been shot, and after a number of steps fell over dead.

Large animals simply take time to bleed out. Only a spine shot to the neck or better brain shot kills instantly. Anything else requires blood loss. Shock as well may kill quickly sometimes.

In the video a third shot may hasten this animal's bleeding. As eagle says, or implies, ashot to the neck spine may speed the death. Assuming it hasn't already been shot to the spine in the neck ... I think by the time the shooter circled the down animal and cleared the area of cameraman, client, trackers et , that bull would be dead.

I think the guys in the video reaction is more their adrenalin results of a dramatic very close charge, with the animal ending up at the shooters feet. The sort of video footage that made Mark Sullivan's video career, Their reaction is shock and the adrenalin rush from a close encounter. Not the back slapping yahooing one sometimes sees when a large trophy is dropped.

Excellent shot on the sudden charging beast AND very quick second shot probably a FMJ, through the animals chest. Good shooting. Really nothing more is needed.

Most of us don't have a video to record our hunts. Nor have a charging bull end up falling on our feet.

Enjoy the video. Its how all us double rifle users hope to shoot in an emergency.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com