NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/07/24 06:35 PM
Re: Rifles for Africa, a good video

I'm not one of those net wannabes or "perfectionists" who insist "there should never be a sling on a dangerous game rifle". A "bolt action must be controlled round feed". And other ideals.

The old hunters survived and prospered with black powder single shots,evenmuzzle loaders, maybe a couple of them hunting ivory. Colonial farmers may have used SMLE .303s or Mauser 8x57s or 8x60s. For buffalo, elephant, big cats and plains game, Some used shotguns with slugs.

99% of clients have a PH or guide. Who is also armed. Often his DGR is carried by a tracker until needed. I've also hunted by myself and have taken friends out. So I am not GV's label of the "tourist hunter".

I use a sling on all my DGRs. My Jeffery .450 DR has the large hooks as swivels. Most have the quick detachable swivels. Useful when carrying a rifle on long walks. Those fat net wannabes might have trouble walking a hundred metres often anyway. The idea that you need your DVR ready in your hands instantly for defensive action against dangerous critters is really internet "commando" thinking and fantasy. If hunting Cape Buffalo the herd will probably flee on encountering your party anyway, Unless following up a wounded bull, cat etc. Then you definitely want it in your hands, loaded and ready.

Those old hunters often had their DGR carried by the gunbearer ...

If entering really thick bush, take the sling off.

On slings and straps, why is a sling so snaggable, while the binocular straps are not? I tried one of those binocular harnesses, holding it on the front of your chest. They are aweful. I stopped using it quickly, They get snagged a lot. On slings, bush, stuff. Same as those quick to shoot slings, that hold the rifle on your shoulder and allow it to be repositioned quickly to the shoulder. They snag easily. Too many straps everywhere on all these things. Never try to use both at once unless you are into hunting bondage ....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com