BigBullet
(.224 member)
13/09/05 01:07 AM
Bushbuck Quest in 2005

We had hunted hard in 2004 for a bushbuck, 15 km northeast of Alldays in the Limpopo province of RSA. The riverine brush was perfect for bushbuck and we saw much spoor of the elusive beasts, but we did not spot even the slightest hair of a bushbuck. During the past year, I have had many dreams of hunting bushbuck again, only this time connecting.

This year I was back hunting with Lochi Lochner in RSA, but this time our quest for bushbuck took us to the Crocidile river half way between Thabazembi and Brits. Here we hunted with Johan Hermann who has a bow hunting only game ranch, but also many hectares of agricultural crops. It was on the edge of these irragated wheat fields that we hunted.

You could see where the warthogs, bushbuck and bushpigs had done significant damage to the edges of the wheat fields. At first light we were out walking and stalking between the fileds and the river. We spotted 3 bushbuck ewes, but no rams.

That evening about 90 minutes before dark we took up a position on the edge and sat, waiting for the bushbuck to come into the fields to feed at dusk. At the far edge of the field a ram came out, but he was over 400 yards away, maybe more and I thought we had positioned ourselves in the wrong spot. Then as the light began to fade a ram came out at 175 yards. I rested my rifle across Johans shoulder, but was having a little trouble finding the ram in the field as he was very dark in color against the dark tree background. Finally I fired and Johan said "you hit him, he is staggering, shoot again". He didn't know in my haste to see the bushbuck through the scope, I got it a bit close to my forehead and now blood was streaming into my eye and I was somewhat blinded by the muzzle flash. And the ram slowly made it into the long reeds. I cursed a little.

Since bushbuck can be aggressive when wounded or cornered, we went back to the camp, had a stiff drink, a smoke and a little dinner. Then we gathered up the lights, a shotgun loaded with slugs and a smallish Jack Russell terrier to follow the blood spoor.

After only maybe 5 minutes and 15 yards into the reeds the Jackie found the bushbuck very dead. The shot had taken him too far back and only caught the offside lung then exited.

He is not big by any standards, but I am very pleased with the hunt and finally getting a bushbuck. Someday, maybe I'll go back and look for his papa.

BigBullet

Contact Us NitroExpress.com