DPhillips
(.375 member)
22/08/05 03:44 PM
Re: Planning your last African Safari

Last year, I lost one of my very best friends. At 45 he was strong as an ox and in fantastic physical condition. He died on a float trip of a brain aneurysm. Since then, I plan most of what I do as it were my last. While I can't afford the most magnificent safari (my first one is less than a month away), I did get off my keister and book one. I will hunt this one and relish every second, just as I did the last two weeks on this year's sheep hunt. I did not get a sheep, though had a few in my scope on a couple of occasions, but this was a fantastic hunt and the hardest I've had. I enjoyed every second of it, even the worst.

I would hope my last safari would involve someone very special and close to me, whether it is my wife or a good friend. For some reason, even though I've never been to Africa, I think I am intrigued by Ethiopia. From Mt. Nyala high in the mountains, to Greater and Lesser Kudu, Besia Oryx, Thompson's and Grant's Gazelles, Abysinnian and Menelik's Bushbuck, and so on...

Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania and the countries of CAR and Congo all fuel a desire to hunt the game within their borders. Especially the spiral horns.

I'd love to see the Selous and the Okavango.

I'm not sure I'd choose a Bongo hunt as the final safari, given the conditions they are hunted. I would think a final safari would be something I could hunt a few members of the Big Five and general plainsgame. Guess I'd like a full bag safari in the Selous or in Kenya, in good weather with good friends to share it with.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com