mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
22/08/05 03:32 AM
DG and PG-which rifle?

I'm starting to think seriously about going to Tanzania to hunt Cape Buffalo, and limited plains game, probably only Tommy and Grant's Gazelles, and perhaps Zebra. I only want to take one rifle along. My choices are a 375 H&H Whitworth Express, a 375 Ackley Improved Custom Win. Model 70, or a Ruger 77 in 416 Rigby.

My personal favorite is the Ackley for several reasons. It's been with me on several trips to Africa, and has never let me down. It's very accurate,handles very well, and the beautiful stock looks great in photos . I get groups that average around 3/4" at 100 yards with Barnse Triple Shocks.

On the other hand, the Whitworth just came into my posession a little over a year ago, and I've not had it in the field yet; only to the range where it shoots well, but I don't shoot as well off hand with it, as I do with the Ackley.

The Ruger is new. It shoots reasonably well, with 100 yard groups right around 1 1/4" with 400 grain Woodleigh's-both softs and solids. It is bout a pound heavier than the Ackley, and 1 1/2 pounds heavier than the Whitworth.

So, there you have my dilema. Which one would you go with, and why?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com