Rule303
(.416 member)
02/12/21 08:39 AM
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I put a lot of stock in the design of the bullet. Plenty of Elephants were only wounded when shot with the 4 bores. If the construction of the bullet is not up to the task of penetrating deep enough then the calibre is of little consequence.

Here I go with the "if's". If the bullet is up to the task, if I could handle a 500 calibre well and if I could afford one, then I would prefer a 500 or 505 in a bolt rifle.

The reasons I like the Hydro's even for Buff are: The distance it will penetrate means that even with a less then ideal presentation of the animal it will still reach the vitals; They have a reputation, and I have yet to see or hear different, of straight line penetration even when going through brush, small trees etc and still reaching the vitals; their performance (Tissue damage/wound channel) on game is way better than a conventional solid but not as good a s a soft nose, a cross between the two. I do believe solids with a decent metplat will provide a similar wound channel and penetration.

The draw back is using either of these on an animal in a herd for a side on shot is you may well have a pass through and wound another animal.

I took a large buff once, broadside shot, at about 75 yards.. passed through and killed a bull on the other side of the one I shot.. My guide said he had never seen that happen in his 20+ years of guiding.. soft making a complete pass through..factory ammo.. 400 Gr Swift A-Frames..416 Rem.

Have to admit that A-Frames are in a league of their own when it comes to Soft Points.

In my experience, indeed they are... Work equally as well out of my 28N and 300RUM... They still do an incredible job even at the high velocities....Close range or 500 yards.. Great design..

Not just the design but also the composition of the metals used. Seems they have the hardness of the lead and copper down to a fine art.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com