Rule303
(.416 member)
01/12/21 09:25 AM
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ?

I put a lot of stock in the design of the bullet. Plenty of Elephants were only wounded when shot with the 4 bores. If the construction of the bullet is not up to the task of penetrating deep enough then the calibre is of little consequence.

Here I go with the "if's". If the bullet is up to the task, if I could handle a 500 calibre well and if I could afford one, then I would prefer a 500 or 505 in a bolt rifle.

The reasons I like the Hydro's even for Buff are: The distance it will penetrate means that even with a less then ideal presentation of the animal it will still reach the vitals; They have a reputation, and I have yet to see or hear different, of straight line penetration even when going through brush, small trees etc and still reaching the vitals; their performance (Tissue damage/wound channel) on game is way better than a conventional solid but not as good a s a soft nose, a cross between the two. I do believe solids with a decent metplat will provide a similar wound channel and penetration.

The draw back is using either of these on an animal in a herd for a side on shot is you may well have a pass through and wound another animal.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com