Ripp
(.577 member)
30/11/21 07:14 AM
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ?

Quote:

I have just counted and found that since 2007 I have shot 9 another buffalos. I shot all of them with the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum.

I had only one problem for finding a buffalo with not perfect shot placement that fled into the tall grass in the near. We went inside the tall grass without PH for backup, did not exist on this hunt, only my local guide and me. The buffalo faced us, I shot fast and then it was out of sight. For safety reasons, the local guide did not want to continue walking in the tall grass. Unfortunately I couldn't find the buffalo until the next day, very near from where I shot it the second time.

The others buffalos all stayed and died where they were shot.

None of that surprises me.. have a good friend who was a Weatherby dealer for aobut 40 years.. shot a few of his he had sold to customers.. getting them sighted in.. happy to say the ones I shot had breaks on them.. LOTS of power in that cartridge...

He went on 2 hunts with me to Africa..I personally never saw an animal walk after getting hit with his .460.. Saw him hit a buffalo once on the other side of the river.. put its head down to drink.. he touched one off..it dropped right there..head in the river..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com