Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
14/09/21 10:53 PM
Re: Group hunt in Africa

Thanks Gents for the feedback.

I thought RigbyMauser's original idea was a good one with members getting together for a hunt in Africa and using only rifles made before WW2. I believe it would be great fun out hunting as well as back at camp with much discussion and gun swapping and everyone having a shot of everyone else's guns, especially if it is something one hasn't seen or shot before.

Of course there would be nothing to stop people bringing modern guns but then it just turns into a get together like any other and IMO would loose some of the special feel that these old guns would provide to such an event, especially if the guns had originally been to Africa in their past. So in my opinion if we are going to do something like this then we should stick to pre-WW2 and have a ball.

Of course there has to be some allowance for repairs to the gun as not everyone can afford a pre-WW2 gun in perfect condition as these can be pricey. At the BGRC we have for instance an event called Classic Light Nitro, which is very popular, where both the cartridge and the rifle must be made before 1939 and the rifle must have been made as an original factory sporter. We do however allow for one of the three components, being lock, stock and barrel to be non original to allow not only people to be able to afford a rifle to shoot in that class but also to allow a lot more older guns to be shot. That way if the gun has a broken stock or a shot out barrel they can be replaced and the gun can be shot in the event. I think this is something that we should consider allowing as well.

As for hunting I personally am not a fan of hunting small fenced off farms or just driving around in vehicles and then hoping out and quickly taking a shot. To me if we are going to hunt with old rifles then we should be trying to hunt as closely as we can to how it was done in the past. In other words big proprieties with lots of walking. Of course allowances have to be made for some of the older members who cant physically handle walking big distances anymore.

I am not trying to dictate any rules or regulations, these are just my opinions and likes on a topic that is in my mind a lot.

Matt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com